Frequently Asked Questions
Working with Arctic Shores
Attraction & High Volume Screening
Traditional data such as a CV and academic qualifications are outdated and lack predictive validity. GBA’s introduce more relevant and objective data into your selection decisions. They attract a more diverse applicant pool and screen candidates against a validated target profile to ensure that they have the attributes relevant for in-role performance.
Yes. We create a bespoke solution for all of our clients by establishing content and criterion-related validity.
- Content Validity: We determine whether the GBA provides good coverage of the competencies important to the roles through a job analysis or analysis of your existing competency/strengths framework
- Criterion Validity: During a validation pilot we establish a target profile of traits that predict performance in the your existing assessment battery (concurrent validity) and other criteria important to your organisation (e.g. in-role performance, tenure, commitment and engagement).
Yes. Our system has an open API for integration with Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) and 3rd party candidate management applications.
Assessments are priced on a per candidate basis; the higher the volume of candidates the lower the unit price. We establish a licensing agreement for volumes over 5,000. Please get in touch with us for more details.
The fit score is based on a target profile of traits that are predictive of performance in the role. There are two key variables considered in a fit profile:
1) Target Range: This is the level of the trait that is required for high performance in the role and is based on the trait STEN scores.
2) Weighting: This is how important each trait is for performance relative to all of the other traits included in the fit profile.
After completing the Game-Based Assessment(s) the candidate receives a score for each trait and the selection algorithm compares these values against the target profile whilst also considering the trait weighting. The fit score is presented as a percentile. A fit score in the 75th percentile indicates that the applicant is a better fit for the organisation than 75% of the comparison group. This also means that the candidate is within the top 25% of the comparison group for fit.
Yes. There are several custom options available ranging from branded reports to a completely branded in-game experience.
iOS/ Android. We support iOS and Android and the application is designed to function equally well on any screen size. You should use a device that was introduced to market within the last 4 years (e.g. anything newer than an iPhone 5 for Apple users). Older devices will be slower and in some cases unable to handle the application so please ask to borrow an appropriate device from a friend or family member if you do not have one. Please do not use mobile OS emulators on your PC or Mac.
We validate our assessments according to the rigorous psychometric standards of the British Psychological Society. Our in-house psychologists liaise with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) and all validation has been reviewed by the University of Oxford department of experimental psychology. Access to our detailed technical manual is available to clients on request.
Of course! We encourage all our clients to read our technical manuals, which are available upon request.
Faking our psychometric games is nearly impossible because they have been designed to:
- Be immersive. When candidates are engrossed in gameplay and react instinctively to in-game challenges there is little time to think about how to fake good.
- Measure traits subtly . Unlike self-report personality inventories, the traits under examination are not completely obvious to the candidate. For instance, asking candidates whether they tend to speak up in groups hints that their degree of Extraversion is being measurement. In contrast, our assessments use a cognitive neuroscience model to subtly measure Extraversion more objectively via subtle shifts in attention.
- Capture a diverse range of metrics. In the course of a 25-minute game session we capture about 3000 data points. These range from the most basic and observable game metrics such as the number of specific actions to extremely subtle differences such as reaction time latencies. The simultaneous capture of such diverse metrics means there’s no hiding true dispositions.
Absolutely not. Extensive testing has shown that there is no difference in someone’s performance whether they have never played a video game before or if they are highly experienced. No skill or pre-existing gaming experience is required to complete the assessments. The simple game mechanics and interactive instructions mean anyone can pick up their device and understand how to play in seconds.
Nope. All our games are designed to be gender neutral. In addition, there is a broad appeal for mobile gaming with the average casual gamer in the UK being a 26-year-old woman.
Are there any gender, age, socio-economic or ethnic differences that could cause adverse impact in selection?
Nope. Independently reviewed validation studies indicate that using any of our game-based assessments will not cause adverse impact in selection and we always double-check this for every client.
Our games-based assessments have exceptional face validity in terms of accuracy, fairness, appeal and enjoyability. To find out more information download our research PDF that involved responses from over 1000 students, “Using Games in Job Selection, What’s the Score?”
Data points. The game-based assessment collects over 3,000 data points from the way you approach each level and how you decide to address each task. The best strategy is to be yourself and let the game capture the unique way you apply yourself to the tasks in each level. This information is used to determine your profile on certain job-relevant characteristics. The results from the assessment are used alongside all the other application information to provide a rounded indicator of your suitability for the role.
Nope. No special ability, skill or knowledge is required to be able to successfully complete the game-assessment. Don’t be frightened by the term “game” if it’s something you wouldn’t normally spend your time doing because this is just a description of the graphical interface we use to collect the data rather than a sophisticated gaming environment.
Each task has been carefully designed for it to be intuitive and easy to pick up. Extensive testing has shown that there is no difference in someone’s profile whether they have never played a video game before or if they are highly experienced.
Nope. Since there is no skill involved in this assessment, no practice or prior knowledge of the game or mobile/console games in general is required. It’s simply a psychometric assessment in an engaging format.
iOS/ Android. We support iOS and Android and the application is designed to function equally well on any screen size. We do not support MS Windows devices. You should use a device that was introduced to market within the last 4 years. Older devices will be slower and in some cases unable to handle the application so please ask to borrow an appropriate device from a friend or family member if you do not have one. Please do not use mobile OS emulators on your PC or Mac.
- iPhone 4 & 4s
- iPad 1 & 2
- iPad mini 1
- iPad Air 1
It’s extremely important that you do not become distracted when taking the assessment. Please ensure that:
- App and messaging push notifications are disabled.
- Your device is set to “do not disturb” even when it is unlocked.
- You have adequate battery life when you start the assessment.
- Stable internet connection.
Yes. Please contact the employer if you require any adjustments for disabilities or learning difficulties.
Don’t panic. First of all, all of your game data is backed-up on our servers. Second, check that your device is compatible with the app and has enough memory left to play.
If the problem persists, contact the support email address of the organisation that you applied to and state your player key. Please include a screenshot of the error message if one should appear as this will help them resolve the issue for you more quickly.
Yes. A candidate-friendly report will be emailed to the email address that you used to apply to the organisation.
Yes. Unlike games designed for entertainment where familiarity with the game mechanic and layout improves performance and enables greater levels of difficulty or sophistication to be introduced, this game-based assessment is designed for the measurement of behaviours. There is no strategy that will help you either through the tasks in each level or achieve a particular performance level.